Sunday, August 28, 2011

Anti-Band LP "Only Album" (Zebian Records 1983)

Well, I finally broke down and decided to post an LP instead of a 7" for once. If you're like me and become short on patience when it comes to checking out music via the web don't worry, this thing is over before you know it and is killer from start to finish. Anti-Band hailed from Los Angeles, CA and had released a 3 song 7" on Zebian the year before this LP came out. The 7" songs also appear on the LP but I'm not sure if they're the same versions. The LP cover is a total DIY job with a hand stamp front cover and what looks like a paste-on insert on the back. Speaking of DIY, Zebian was also responsible for the DIY Album compilation which included Black Flag, Red Rockers, The Slickee Boys etc. The pressing info on this one is a bit hazy, somewhere between 300-500 copies. I know they don't pop up much.

SIDE A
Song 1. Biplane


Song 2. Go


Song 3. Dominion


Song 4. Success


Song 5. Jealous Guy


SIDE B
Song 1. Undersign


Song 2. Krazimanifesto


Song 3. Fast High


Song 4. In Love With A Cat


Song 5. Amnesia

3 comments:

  1. I am so thrilled to see this. Indeed this album is fun start to finish... and here is some history for you. The album cover was hand drawn by the drummer Chaz aka Bosey Von Bosetoven (a gifted local artist) who was heavily influenced at that time by Hanna Barbera artist Shannon Fallis. Now what brings this full circle is that Chaz's father is the late Daws Butler... the voice of Hanna Barbera! Anti-Band was ahead of it's time but always stayed modest... and drunk. They were hailed as the best garage band of LA by the Weekly wayyyyyyy back when.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Sherril
    Thanks so much for the info, I knew next to nothing about these guys, until now. The LP is one of my favorites. The sleeve design and the tunes are both top notch. They really had a unique sound that still sounds very fresh. I think Amnesia and Success are my favorite tracks, nice and abrasive sounding. These guys could really play so it doesn't surprise me that they were voted Best Garage band by the LAW. Now, I just have to track down their 7". Drop me a line if know of someone that would be willing to part with one.
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete